Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Torch Has Passed

For many years, I happily drove a little 1997 Saturn SW2 station wagon, like this:

I bought it in 2000 as a lease termination with 36,000 miles on it. The car couldn't pull my horse trailer, but got great mileage and other than normal expendable parts like a serpentine belt or brakes or a catalytic converter, it never ever broke.

It sailed past the 100,000 mile mark, and then sailed past 200,000 miles without a stumble. So I was terribly surprised when, just short of 270,000 miles, it said, "I'm done now." Well, I suppose I could have replaced the entire electrical system and dropped a crate motor into it, but doing so would have cost as much as a new car.

So . . .

I now have a 2005 Saturn Vue lease termination with 46,000 miles on it, like this:

It feels like driving the Queen Mary after my little wagon, and rides like a truck. It still can't pull my horse trailer, but should get decent mileage. Such is life.

It'll take some getting used to. But even though I just picked it up today, there's no doubt already that it's my car:

Horse junk, dog junk, IPSC targets everywhere. Now as soon as a dog barfs (or worse) in it, the assimilation will be complete.

No comments: