Tuesday, April 13, 2010

And You Thought My Range Bag Was Bad

When I went through my range bag for this meme, I couldn't help wondering if some laws of physics weren't being violated when I packed everything back in. Unfortunately, that's not my only overstuffed crap carrier.

I have horses, and horses require grooming. Grooming requires assorted currycombs, brushes, and other implements. Lots of them.

Behold the horror that is the contents of my brush box:

Believe it or not, I really use all of that on my herd. No two items fill the exact same purpose. All the brushes are natural fibers only, from rice root and union fiber to pig bristle and goat hair. Synthetic brushes don't remove the dirt, they only push it around.

There's a lot of crossover between dog and horse grooming, hence the rakes, English Greyhound-style, and flea combs. Nothing like a flea comb to get the last little crud crumbs out of a horse's ears or armpits.

Just like my ridiculous range bag, everything actually does fit:

There's even room left for the couple of items that escaped and are currently AWOL somewhere inside my car.

"My name is Hecate, and I'm addicted to horse brushes."

"Hello, Hecate."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that synthetic bristle brushes were worthless. Where do I find natural alternatives?

Chris

Hecate said...

I wouldn't say they're worthless, just that they require a lot more effort to get the same results.

Farm stores usually carry more plastic-bristle brushes than natural. Since a lot of the best natural brushes are made in England and Germany, specialty tack shops catering to the hunter-jumper-dressage community are the most reliable sources.

Online, Dover Saddlery has a great selection. Good natural brushes, brass wire drawn with wood backs secured by brass screws, last for years if kept clean. I have a couple that are over ten years old and still perfectly good.

Unknown said...

nice range bag