Saturday, May 22, 2010

Yet Another Reason Why I Like Linux

From an actual Linux distro man page:
5. Use step 4 and if the problem persists and is not secondary to a rogue program/daemon, get a 3.5 ft (approx. 1 meter) length of sucker rod* and have a chat with the user in question.

. . .

* Sucker rod def. - 3/4, 7/8 or 1in. hardened steel rod, male threaded on each end. Primary use in the oil industry in Western North Dakota and other locations to pump 'suck' oil from oil wells. Secondary uses are for the construction of cattle feed lots and for dealing with the occasional recalcitrant or belligerent individual.
For the non-geeks in the audience, a man page is a form of online help (i.e. a "manual page") that comes with Linux/UNIX operating systems. Snicker.

3 comments:

Viatecio said...

I LOL'd.

<3 Linux too. I feel all awkward when I have to get into my Windows partition for any stupid little reason.

I feel like having a "chat" with the head honchos at my school...they take the money that extra tuition from 30k students gets them, give raises to some of the faculty (yay?) and leave the computers and network all full of shit and just as stopped up and useless. Come on, I know it's a community college, but for being all into teaching people how to work in today's society, you'd think we can at least get today's technology to work on!

Mike Looney said...

Ah, yes. What program's man page is that from.

Hecate said...

It was the Ubuntu man page for sysklogd.