Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bite Me, FTC

The Federal Trade Commission is cracking down on product endorsements in blogs.

I write here from time to time about various items I have found useful. I place links to some companies, such as Wilson Combat and HideAwayKnife, in my blog sidebar because I use and like their products.

And I've bought and paid for every one of these items.

A company paying me to review their stuff? Please. First, you need to have, like, more than five readers for that to happen. Second, I don't do that.

A few companies have e-mailed me to post links, offering free or discounted merchandise in return, or a cut of any sales that come from my blog. I have never taken any of them up on their offers. I blog as a way to say things I want to say, not for commercial gain.

However, the FTC can choose to investigate me just because I post anything at all that might possibly imply I might possibly have some theoretical obscure relationship with an equipment manufacturer.

I love my Megan Magnum holster that I ordered, waited for, and paid for. Ditto my full custom built Wilson Combat 1911 based off their Elite Professional and my many HideAway knives. I wear Galco and Wilderness belts because they last and I like them, not because anyone paid me to.

I feed my horses Triple Crown Performance and Woody's Exacta Oats because I like their quality control and ingredients. I use an Ansur treeless saddle because I did a lot of research when I wanted to find something that wouldn't harm my horses' backs, and it has proven to be exactly that.

And not one of these companies has ever given me one red cent. Or any free products. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

I will continue to express my personal opinions about things I have bought and paid for myself.

Bite me, FTC.

4 comments:

Tango Juliet said...

I see this as an attempt to shut down dissent in America.

The percentage of bloggers receiving "free stuff" is quite low and it's fairly obvious who they are.

I discuss some products on my own little out of the way blog, because, like you, I happen to like the product and would recommend them to like minded people.

What was it John Galt said? Oh yeah, "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!"

Aanoosh said...

Have you tried Bianchi belts? I've had one of their dress belts for 15 years, and although it's scarred up, it's still going strong. Quality is worth paying extra for.

Aanoosh said...

On another note, it's another message from the government that I'm too stupid to size up people's opinions for myself.

Hecate said...

I'll have to take a look at Bianchi. The Galco leather belts still look good but start to soften too much to support a holster properly after a few years.