Monday, October 26, 2009

JOGI!!

With due credit, and apologies, to Joe.

Not much has been happening on this blog because Real Life™ got in the way. I found myself suddenly and unexpectedly needing to find new employment.

In this economy for sure, that quickly becomes a more-than-full-time occupation in itself. Trolling the employment sites, applying for anything I was even remotely qualified for, calling those headhunters that hunted me in the past, e-mails, phone calls, and the absolute worst of all.

Buying an Interview Suit.

Think "Career Girl Barbie." Gack.

Did I mention how much I hate the term "overqualified?"

I'm also not too crazy right now about volunteer organizations that refuse to understand that they are not The Very Most Important Thing in their members' lives. Sorry, folks, but Being Able To Pay My Bills takes precedence.

Anyway . . .

I now have a much better job with a Global Corporation with significantly higher pay, more flexible hours, and the option (indeed requirement) to work from home at least part of the time.

And I have to get a passport.

Sure, the workload will be insane. Current staff there puts in 70+ hours a week. No problem, I've been doing that for 18 years in IT. But instead of being expected to cover everything from servers, routers, switches, firewalls, and applications to carrier circuits, outside agency issues, and user desktop troubleshooting, I will have one specific area to focus on. That in itself will feel like a vacation.

My first day will be November 2, unless they can push my paperwork through faster. They want to start me middle of this week if possible.

I really should thank the **multiple expletives deleted** agency I used to work for.

13 comments:

Tango Juliet said...

Glad to hear you got re-employed so quickly!

Brian K Miller said...

Congratulations on the new job! I hope it works out well for you.

Willorith said...

I have never lost a job when it didn't turn out for the better.

Black Ice said...

Sometimes, working for The Man ain't so bad. As long as they treat you right, it's a step up. Congrats!

Laura said...

in certain cases, things truly work out for the better - it sounds like that's what happened here. congrats on the new job.

Steve Pierson said...

That's great - lots of folks I know are having a tough time finding any work.

Hecate said...

No kidding about how long it can take to find employment. All the horror stories about folks out of work for months or years. I'm still pinching myself, and plan to focus on saving money just in case the coach turns into a pumpkin. No guarantees in this economy.

Well, I might consider celebrating with a new precision rifle . . .

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Hope the new job works out nicely. How are the critters?

Unknown said...

Way to go, Hecate!

Zeeb better watch out, seems NE gun bloggers are risky employees... (I think he's safe).

Unknown said...

Oh, and go ahead and celebrate.

I am rewarding my new JOGI with a 7.62 can.

Hecate said...

Oh, there's nothing risky about being a Nebraska gun blogger. The risk comes when you report certain swells for certain acts of professional misconduct. And the swells above them tell you to shut up and ignore the whole thing.

So you report it to the outside agency that's been compromised.

Larry said...

'Grats.

myelomajourney.blogspot.com said...

Hey, just heard (a little late) about you getting a new job. Way to go! Want to send us an email addy privately?