Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Feel Your Pain

From Massad Ayoob's blog on the Backwoods Home website, writing about participating in an IDPA match:
Me: "Damn, Jon, I dismounted that truck like a sixty-year-old man!"
Jon: "Uh, Mas, you are a, uh, you know –"
Me: "Oh, yeah…right…"
I won't be sixty for a while yet, and I firmly believe you're only as old as you think you are. I don't buy society's expectation at all that you automatically and inevitably turn into a pile of caca at a certain age.

But there are times I wish I'd thought about the arthritic consequences down the road before doing things like exercising racehorses when I was young and stupid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in roughly the same demographic as you are, and I'm just learning to shoot, and about guns. I went to Front Sight last month and loved it. My arthritic knees willnot stand in my way!

Hecate said...

Oh yeah. Tactical knee pads are a wonderful invention. Saves what's left of your joints for if things go Tango Uniform for real.

Rio Arriba said...

I'm coming up on the big seven-oh and I feel just like I did when I was thirty. Have no idea how I got to be this age! Plus, as a reminder of how lucky I am, I'm surrounded by "old" cowboys who are so busted up they walk like 90-year-olds when they're only fifty.

Ragin' Dave said...

My mind and my heart still tell me that I'm a 21 year old stud, just like I was last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and that I'm invincible, and I can do anything with no problem, and.....

My knees and my back laugh at my heart and mind, and painfully bring me back to reality on a daily basis.